- March 6, 2020
- $1 per entry
- $5 per portfolio
Contest Entry Site:
- This contest is sponsored by the Third Floor Photographic Society.
THE THIRD FLOOR PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY proudly announces the 38th Annual High School Shoot-Out, a contest for middle and high school photography students. The Society is made up of photography students at Texas A&M University-Commerce (TAMU-C). This year’s High School Shoot-Out contest will be judged digitally on the campus of Texas A&M University – Commerce and the winners will be announced on The Third Floor Photographic Society’s web site on April 3, 2020.
The contest is divided into two divisions; First Year Only, with B/W and Color categories and All Years, with the following categories. Each category in All Years is no longer separated into B/W or color.
5. Still Life
8. Open Color
9. Open B/W
12. Digitally Constructed Images*
13. Junior/Senior Portfolio**
Categories 1 – 12 are for individual images. Category 13 is a 6-10 image portfolio from any junior or senior high school student. Subject(s) of portfolio is open but should be cohesive and should represent the student’s best work.
First Year Only entrants may enter into any of the All Years categories by entering separate images and including separate entry fees.
• All digital entries must be submitted through ATPI’s online contest site. Category, Student name, school name, school city, and teacher name must be typed into the metadata caption/description field in the File Info window in Photoshop. All images should be in JPEG format, saved at maximum quality, with a maximum dimension (width or height) of 2500 pixels. Full instructions for image size and file info can be found on ATPI web site – www.atpi.org/submission. If you have not used this system previously, teachers must create an account and then add student accounts to the system. Once the student accounts are created, they can be added to the active contest.
• There is no limit to the number of entries a student may submit into any of the single image categories. Only one entry per student in the portfolio category with no less than six images and no more than 10 images.
• Students are encouraged to not enter the same image in multiple categories. The judges tend to judge these photos more harshly.
*Digitally constructed single images means that images have been constructed by use of computer software. These images must have photographic elements (such as originally from a digital camera, film image, scanned materials, still-video frame, etc.); entries that are composed solely of graphic-arts elements are not eligible. All components of the entry must be the original work of the student.
**Junior/Senior Portfolio: No less than 6 and no more than 10 images from any junior or senior high school student. Subject of
portfolio is open but should be cohesive or theme driven.
Entry Fees and Deadline:
ENTRY FEES are $1.00 per single entry and $5.00 per portfolio. Checks must be made payable to “ATPI.” All entries must be uploaded to the ATPI online contest site by 6 pm on March 6, 2020 to be eligible. Mail payment to ATPI, PO Box 4647, Wichita Falls, TX 76308. For questions, contact Chad D. Smith, Dept of Art/TAMUC, PO Box 3011, Commerce, TX 75429, Chad.Smith@tamuc.edu.
Prizes and Awards:
Certificates will be awarded in both divisions. There will be a Best of Show Color and Best of Show Black & White along with awards for First, Second, Third, and Honorable Mention in all categories. Winners of Best of Show in both Color and B&W and the top Junior/Senior Portfolio winner will each receive a $1,000 scholarship from the Texas A&M University-Commerce Art Department if that student enrolls in the TAMU-C Photography Program as a declared photography major. All students winning First, Second, or Third place will each receive a $500 scholarship from the Texas A&M University-Commerce Art Department if that student enrolls in the TAMU-C Photography Program as a declared photography major.