Updated April 2020 Use these instructions to properly format and add entrant information to your ATPI Photo contest entries. Winter Conference entries do not need “Beginning” or “Advanced” in the metadata. Looking for other options for adding metadata to your images? GIMP is a free program for Macintosh, Windows and LINUX that allows you to edit your metadata. EXIF Tool is a $3.99 application available for Macintosh that provides full editing options for metadata. Affinity Photo is a cross-platform photo editor that offers a 90-day free trial or a one-time purchase.
1) Open the image in Photoshop.
2) Under the File menu, select File Info.
3) In the Author/Creator field, enter:
- Your Name
4) In the Description field, enter:
- Division (Beginning-MS/Advanced)
- Your Name
- School Name
- School City, State
- Teacher Name, instructor
- Caption, if required
5) In the Document Title/Title field, enter:
6) In Photoshop it would look like this:
7) In Bridge it would look like this:
9) Resize the image
- If one or more of the pixel dimensions is larger than 2500 pixels, select the larger of the two numbers and reduce it to 2500 pixels. No other numbers need to be changed.
- Click OK.
10) Go to the File menu and select Save As. In the latest version of Photoshop you must select Save a Copy, rather than Save As. DO NOT use the Export option, which will strip all metadata from the file.
11) Save the image as a JPEG file.
The file name must not contain any periods or characters such as #, or /. For contests that are not uploaded through the ATPI Contest site, name the file as follows:
- (student last name, beginning or advanced division, category name and image number)
- For example, an entry in the Beginning Sports category taken by Mark Murray should have the following filename: murray_b_sports_1.jpg
12) Upload your entries using ATPI’s online contest site. Teachers must register first and then add student accounts to the system. Once student accounts are created, go to Active Contests and give each student permission to enter. The teacher must also set each student as Beginning or Advanced if the contest has divisions.
Questions? Contact ATPI for assistance.